Tuesday, June 23, 2009

My Dad's Book Cover

My Dad is self-publishing a book about basic home and car maintenance, and I just finished the cover for him for Father's Day. My father is a jack-of-all-trades sort of man, and when I got married, I jokingly told him that he needed to make me a book of all the "stuff" that he does around the house so that I can give it to my husband. Dad rose to the challenge, and his book has been a family project for several years now. My father (obviously) writes and has compiled diagrams and charts, and has therefore put countless hours into this labor of love. My sister (business major with a BA in journalism) was the editor. Mom was proof reader and opinion-giver. My sister's fiance did all of the technical illustrations and diagrams. I served as illustrator, creative director, and the "girl who knows about publishing so go ask her what to do" person. With any luck, we'll have copies printed in time for Christmas. It will be a great family heirloom, and I am glad to have been able to do something small for my Dad, who has done so much for me.

4 comments:

Anne said...

What an amazing labor of love! The cover is amazing, Jen, and I will definitely want to buy a copy as soon as it's all finished. (I can sure use all the home and car maintenance tips I can get!)

Bobobofnryebdgrbdh said...

What a cool image and a great story to accompant it.

Altho my work is very different to yours and my blog is rubbish at the mo (this is going to be updated over next few weeks) your work is stunning and very inspiring.

thanks

Gaz

BATTLEGROUND STUDIO said...

Jen,

This is all wonderful work! Thank you for sharing your talent with the world and most importantly for using it to impact children's lives in a great way.

Will

Loni Edwards said...

I came across your link on a post at the SCBWI forums. I am so glad I followed it! You do great work! What an inspiration! I am new to SCBWI but already I have found it to be a great place to share ideas and research!